Job Title: School Transport Escort
Reporting to: Care Manager
Location: Transport from Dublin – Galway
Salary: €13.40 per Hour, subject to the award of funding from the Department of Education
Contract duration: 12 – Month, subject to probationary and Garda Vetting
Reach Deaf Services are seeking to achieve a reputation for innovation and a strong commitment to high standards in terms of our practice. The needs of our young people are our highest priority and guide us in our work. The panel of Transport Escorts facilitates the safe travelling of the vulnerable young people that we work with to and from boarding, and as such are an important element of the staffing.
Interviews for these vacancies will take place week beginning 18th December 2023.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Below are the key areas of responsibility; (This list is not exhaustive)
- Be in attendance at the transport before the time of the first pick up; and remain with the Boarder(s) until handover to awaiting guardian for the last Boarder. Handover log to be completed for all child(ren)/young person(s).
- Must be in possession of a mobile phone with sufficient credit at all times to maintain contact with Boarders/ parents/ guardians/ care staff.
- Keep Boarders/ parents/ guardians/ care staff informed of any changes in plans in a timely manner.
- Report any incident or concern that arises during the journey in the handover log and report to the Care Manager/staff meeting the child or parent/guardian.
- Establish positive developmental relationships with the child(ren)/young person(s), providing a safe and caring environment.
- Assist child(ren)/young person(s) to board the transport and alight safely from the transport.
- Ensure that all child(ren)/young person(s) are seated with appropriate safety belts, straps and wheelchair harnesses where required.
- If in receipt of any message/documentation, to act as liaison between the Care Manager and/or care staff and parents.
- Observe confidentiality in all aspects of work.
- Be aware of particular disabilities of child(ren)/young person(s) on the transport and be briefed by the Care Manager on how to deal with such disabilities, e.g. epilepsy, asthma etc.
- Perform any other duties relevant to the position of Transport Escort, which may be assigned by the Care Manager from time to time.
- Not leave the transport unless under exceptional circumstances.
- Ensure a seating position on the transport where maximum supervision of the child(ren)/young person(s) is possible. (Pre-booking to be considered).
- Ensure compliance with organisational policies and procedures, national legislation, Children First, TUSLA and other applicable standards.
- Demonstrate flexibility and teamwork in dealing with situations arising.
- Report to Supervisor with at least 8 hours’ notice of absence due to illness.
Knowledge (Education & Related Experience):
- Leaving Certificate or equivalent in English
- QQI (formerly FETAC) level 3 in Irish Sign Language or commitment to achieve within 12 months and QQI level 4 within two years
- Experience of working in a childcare setting and specifically as a transport escort with young people will be a distinct advantage.
- Deaf Culture awareness
- Knowledge of TUSLA standards or equivalent
- Experience of receiving reflective supervision to facilitate professional development
- Commitment to continuous professional development
- Participation in Escort Training workshop will be required
- Core competency training will be required in areas such as child protection/safeguarding, supervision practice, manual handling, occupational first aid and related legislative developments
Any interested applicants should forward their CV and a short covering letter stating their suitability for the role. Please email Recruitment@reachdeafservices.ie by close of business 04:00pm on the 15th December 2023.
If you require further details on this role, please contact me directly at KHarris@reachdeafservices.ie
All offers of employment are subject to Garda Vetting
Reach Deaf Services